Search This Blog

25 March 2008

Nude portrait of France's first lady to go to auction

'Tasteful' nude portrait of France's first lady to go to auction

This is an interesting story in a couple of ways:

First off - the National Post doesn't publish the photo - you have to take their word that it's "a Work of Art" - mainly because they don't publish nudity. However there is a thumbnail of the photo when you share the NP link to facebook. So I guess nudity is permissible - as long as it not in the National Post. I also noticed they put "Tasteful" in quotes. I've corrected the headline in my post to make it a little less sneering.

Secondly, it reminded me of a text argument I had with a friend the other day. We were discussing her sitting - and I had posited the idea of a nude pose. Her response was "I'm not a slut - I won't pose nude".

Well having done photos, sketches, drawings paintings, of nudes many times it brought to mind a comment I heard from a model a long time ago.

"It's not posing nude for an artist that makes you a slut. It's what you do with your clothes on that can make you a slut."


Case in Point - Brittany Spears vs. Mrs. First lady - which one of those would be called a slut?
Post a Comment