OMNIA MEA MECUM PORTO
"I carry with me all my things"
Help – Shaw Cable!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Well, just my luck – a ton of stuff to do and the Internet is down. I’m on the backup wireless connection and I’ll head out to a wireless location to get back on.
The Evolution of a Digital Identity If you have followed my writing over the years across Cole’s Notes or The View from the Plateau Substack, you know that maintaining a clean, efficient digital workflow is a core focus of my work. As part of a broader mid-summer digital decluttering and workflow upgrade for 2026, I am officially making a major structural change to how I manage my online publications and reader communications. Effective August 1, 2026, I am retiring cole.cooper@gmail.com from its role as my public-facing blog and publishing contact for Cole's Notes. Moving forward, all publishing, newsletter, and official media inquiries will be hosted directly under an new official email address: thesundayjournalist@gmail.com . Alongside this technical shift, I am standardizing all public publishing under my long-standing pen name, Mark Coleman . For the time being - there will be two contributor profiles on the main Cole's Notes profile until I update the publishing sys...
Opinion: The slow death of Canadian local news A nation that stops producing and consuming its own media isn't just losing an industry. It's quietly outsourcing its own sense of self. Photo by Supplied photo / Postmedia Network By Mathew Embry The news that Corus is centralizing its Calgary and Edmonton news production in Toronto, cutting dozens of local jobs in the process, was disappointing but not surprising. I recall a Global News executive telling me, months ago, that CBC’s local Calgary TV newscast was pulling in ratings so low they were practically unmeasurable. I wasn’t surprised by that, either. What I’ve wondered since is how much longer Global News itself can survive without public support, given that its own ratings, while technically above zero, aren’t much healthier. This follows Rogers’ closing of Fan 960 and, given current Canadian viewing habits, I doubt it will be the...
https://quillette.com/2019/11/27/mayors-wont-rule-the-world/ Published on November 27, 2019 Mayors Won’t Rule the World written by Joel Kotkin Earlier in this decade, cities—the bigger and denser the better—appeared as the planet’s geographic stars. According to Benjamin Barber , author of the 2013 book If Mayors Ruled the World , everyone would be better off if the ineffective, aging nation-state were replaced by rule from the most evolved urban areas . This, Barber argues, would provide the “building blocks” of global governance run by a “parliament of mayors.” In reality, the validity of the “back to the city” meme was never as pronounced as its boosters believed. And now it seems, if anything, to be reversing—first demographically, then economically—as workers and key industries seek more affordable and congenial environments. Furthermore, many elite urban centers are diverging, sometimes radically, from national norms which produces a...
Comments