Waiting for Gordot - I mean Shaw. Tale of the Cable cutter culture


Story of cutting the cable

Well, I forgot to post this back in October - when I started cutting the cable.  Here it is November, and It's still sitting in the draft folder - so here it is.
I've been doing a lot more reading, and forgot to post on the blog - but I've also been working on getting the PC's up on Windows 10 latest edition.

(October) 

About two weeks back, I had a look at my bills and realized I was spending a butt-ton of money on cable TV, internet and landline phone services.  My contract was up and I’m not needing the business class of service - so I had a nice chat with a rep on cutting down to the basics.

This was only after logging into the MYshaw account website and resetting a password, and setting up a two-factor Authenticator and placing an order to return the old Shaw gateway and just cut back to the Internet 300 and my landline.  Joyous!  My bill went from $395 a month to around a promised $89 for the phone service and internet.

So I removed the gateway units and the extra one and used my Apple TV and Internet for my two TV’s, Desktop PC and network printer and my two work laptops and Two older iPads that needed Wi-Fi.  As my first bill arrived, it had a $102.00 credit to my account as I had been paying ahead, so the month of September was already paid for.

This is great - I’ve been cutting back on TV watching, but it was an adjustment to not turn on the boob tube for background noise- so I hooked up the TV sets to Apple TVs (old version) and started using Amazon Prime TV with iTunes.  And of course YouTube. A Blue-ray DVD for the movie collection and I’m out of the cable TV.

Comments

Popular Posts