Starting Over

 Substack and Cole's Notes

Something is coming...

It was once said that regarding the press, you should never fight with a man who buys ink by the barrel. 

Today, that would be:  never pick a fight with someone with a Substack.


There is not anything there at the moment - I'm busily hooking up my Social media accounts and working on building my audience - so this is just a heads up that I'm updating things this fall and adding in new content as I update this blog and the other social media sites.

Why am I doing this?

Well, the comic strip Shoe has it, ideally.


So, I'm looking at various income sources from my writing.  Substack is one. 

So what is Substack?

Substack is a platform that provides publishing, payment, analytics, and design infrastructure to support subscription newsletters. It allows writers to send digital newsletters directly to subscribers.

This is very similar to how Cole's Notes started in 1992 when I published an email newsletter on telecom for corporate communications at the telco where I worked.  Around 1998 - when I was packaging out from said corporation - the "career counsellor" recommended blogging.  So Cole's Notes was slipped over to Blogger - where it remains.

However - I also started hanging around on other sites - the early Twitter - some Canadian blogs - and technology blogs posting and writing articles.  In addition to lurking and linking - I did some web work for small businesses and communities pro bono, using my writing skills to help out where I could.  Substack interests me as I want to monetize my work to help me support myself.

An extremely long time ago, back when I was pounding a typewriter in Journalism School, my dream was to have a career as a photojournalist, editor-publisher and someday own a small-town newspaper.  The early Blogs I worked on and Cole's Notes scratched that itch to write news stories and satisfy my inner journalist.






Comments

Popular Posts