VIEW FROM THE PLATEAU: A Manifesto for the Printed Page in a Digital Wilderness By Mark Coleman Founder & Editor-in-Chief I. The Wilderness of the Ephemeral We live in an era of unprecedented information friction, yet we have never been more culturally starved. The modern landscape has reduced the noble craft of journalism to a fleeting cascade of clickbait, algorithmic outrage, and phantom feeds that harvest our attention and return little of lasting value. Our stories are increasingly written on water, disappearing into the endless scroll of a low-trust digital economy. This is not what storytelling was meant to be. Fifty years ago, I began my career as the youngest color darkroom technician and photojournalist at the Calgary Herald , helping transition that historic newsroom from the mechanical weight of hot metal type to offset lithography. I watched physical ink meet paper to create a permanent, tangible record of our shared history. Decades later, as a staff interpreter at He...
Comments