Hey everyone! If you’ve noticed things looking a little quieter around here lately, don't worry—I haven't gone anywhere! Behind the scenes, I’m taking a brief breather to do some much-needed mid-summer housekeeping. Right now, I’m in full spring-cleaning mode (a bit late in the season, I know!): revising and simplifying my setup across both the Cole’s Notes blog and The View from the Plateau Substack. Between clearing out a massive backlog of emails across multiple platforms and tidying up my social media contacts, I'm streamlining my digital life to make sharing stories easier, smoother, and more fun. While the original Cole’s Notes is on a short temporary pause, I'll be back very soon with fresh posts—including a full look at the new and improved systems! In the meantime, feel free to pop over and check out the site whenever you like: 👉 Cole's Notes 📬 Important Update: Changing My Email Address! As part of this digital decluttering, I am officially transition...
Google Search: Cole's Notes Number 6 on Google for my Blog - which is not bad when you consider www.colesnotes.com is actually controlled by Indigo.ca. and that there's a screenwriter using the title "Cole's Notes: The Movie!" - for a completely different take. But it's nice to know that folks are looking at the Blog.
Which makes me think that I should be a little more responsible to update and post more often than I do. However, it's a time-consuming process, and right now I'm up to my ears in the Stampede.
In the world of Patrick O'Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series, Stephen Maturin is a man of many layers—naturalist, spy, and skilled physician. But for those of us who dive deep into the historical mechanics of his life, one detail has always invited curiosity: Why did he need two different universities to complete his medical education? While previous posts explored the scattered fragments of Stephen's childhood, tracing his path through the medical wards of the late 18th century proved to be a much more complex puzzle. It required looking past the fiction and into the shifting sands of the French Revolution and the strict religious barriers of Trinity College Dublin. In today's post, we're "walking the wards" of 1780s Paris and the delivery rooms of Dublin's Rotunda Hospital to organize Stephen's training timeline. From cheering the fall of the Bastille to earning the right to wear the scarlet robes of a Doctor of Medicine, this is how political upheaval an...
Comments